PokeChat

Welcome to PokeChat. For both Pokemaniacs and occasional players! (Currently spam-free! ..For now.)

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Red & Blue = EPIC WIN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bodine

Male Posts : 51
Mood : Bodiney
Something random : McSex
PokeCoins : 171

PostSubject: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:07 pm

All of you who know me from WiiChat know how I'm all about the retro, baby! We'll I think it shouldn't come as a surprise that Red & Blue was and still is my favorite version.

Why? When the games have come so far and advanced so much, why Red & Blue, Bodine?

Well I'll lay it down like this. It's the nostalgia. It's the originality. It's the fact that Nintendo took a risk with this game, not knowing if they had a hit or miss on their hands, and wound up starting a late-90s' "religion".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dirge Phalanx

Male Posts : 604
Mood : Dirgeful
Something random : Magikarps - YOU LIEK THAM?
PokeCoins : 1491

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Oh, the nostalgia. The very reason I purchased a Yellow, Gold, and Crystal off the interwebz just a few months ago. They were no doubt great games... No pokemon game afterwards had the great feeling of playing RBY. The next games were great, no doubt, but the original just has such charm, yeah?

Oh... so many memories. *tear of joy*

You know, it's suprising pokemon took off outside of Japan. The concept and appearance of the game, and even it's theory itself is so unamerican-like. The anime really did it... if it weren't for the anime, pokemon wouldn't kick so much ass; mainly because it probably wouldn't of gotten past RBY, I believe. It never would of gotten off the ground if every kid around didn't know about the anime.

And then you have the hardass christian douchebags (who's point of view I entirely understand; although they take things way too seriously. Damn extremists) who could of ended the pokemon craze single handedly. And THEN you have schools outlawing even the cards. But no, no says every child! This craze will not die out. You can take away our pokeballs... you can take away our fucking rare ass Charizard cards, but you can't take away our love of pokemon! DX [/corny]

But no matter. Pokemon was so epic (and well advertised through the anime), that it managed to break through all the odds, and become a world wide phenomenon. RBY is like the first mario games... instant classics, full of nostalgia; however, pokemon is just plain better than Mario.

Everyone knows pokemon. Every child across the street knows, every person at school knows, every parent from the USA to the drylands of Australlia know. And why, is this? Because pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow are the most epic games. Ever. PERIOD.

... I honestly don't know where I'm going with this, maybe I'm trying to get across how much arse pokemon kicks; even though words can't express this. In short, I love pokemon, from RBY to DPP and beyond. The games shall always hold a place in my heart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bodine

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:43 pm

You know CK I was thinking the EXACT same thing about the anime. That's why it grew into such a big thing outside of the land of the rising sun. Infact, I'll never forget the first time I saw Poke'mon. I was young, how young I forget, but I was just a kid. I had to stay the night at my grandmothers house because my parents decided to go on a vacation. The morning after I woke up and turned on the TV. I was fliping channels and I saw a cartoon so I stoped to watch. All it was was a crab staring at the screen and the sun setting behind him. (obviously I tuned in on a touchy moment) Then it showed all these people I would come to grow familar to. They were Ash, Misty, and Brock. Now you must know, my experiance with anime before this point wasn't good. I HATED Speed Racer. But there was something about this that kept me from changing the channel. You could say I was instantly hooked. Unfourtunatly I started watching it near the end of the episode. I quickly begged my TV for another episode. It didn't cooperate but it gave me something better. A commercial. But not just any ol' commercial. A commercial advertising Pokemon Red and Blue. I shrieked in joy. I thought, "Oh they made a video game from the show!" (Yes originally I thought the show came first but when I learned Nintendo themselves made the game I knew it was the other way around... yes I understood stuff like that as a little kid) So in a very, VERY strange stroke of generosity from my parents, I had a new Gameboy plus Red AND Blue the VERY. NEXT. DAY. I was confused by the fact that I asked for it just once and my parents spent over a hundred bucks that day for a handheld and two games! I was shocked that they bought me both versions too! But I wasn't complaining lol. I thanked the hell outta them then proceded to play... after the long process of figuring out which version to play. I eventually stuck in Red and was suddenly sucked in to a soon-to-be world-wide craze. (I managed to get into Pokemon about a year before it became popular in the U.S.) Later that month my friend Raymond borrowed my Red version, sayin he could quickly level up my Pokemans and not progress through the games story. (My biggest pet-peeve lol) Then he lost it. (Many years later, like Junior year of highschool, he found it again and returned it to me lol) I know he didn't steal it because he had R&B of his own. So I started over and played through my Blue version.

Wow, I just meant to tell of the time I first saw Pokemon and I wound up telling my Pokemon history lol

And yes the first Pokemon I ever saw was Krabby Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dirge Phalanx

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm

I honestly can't remember how I got into pokemon... ... ... I can only remember one day going into some shop to buy Red (should of gotten Blue, it's better! DX). I had few oportunities as a kid to socialize, so I probably got into the craze through the anime. It was an early episode in the anime, but I can't remember what... my memory is so terrible. Laughing

I do remember seeing the bus commercial for RB, freakin' classic, lol. That's probably what got my attention that games existed. So for me, the order was anime>game>everything else.

I can't remember how I got into the TCG either, lol... I was a big collector back in the day, though. Two charizards, one 1st edition; great condition back in the day. Now ofcourse, it's just ruined. Razz Didn't have a binder since I was too stupid to realize how valuable they'd become.

This is completely off topic, but I have the exact same experience for being introduced to DBZ. One day I was just flipping through the channels as usual, and some strange cartoon comes on. The sky is green, and the "planet" looks nothing like earth. Then this creepy white and purple ALIEN thing comes on screen. I'd probably be like "... Wtf" nowadays, but it somehow sucked me in.

Next thing I know, some spikey haired dude drops a massive sphere of glowing something on the alien thing, something so powerful as to open the ocean itself. As I watch, I'm basically like... ".... Coooooool". And to my amazement, after some confusion and suspense, the alien is still alive, but beaten up badly. So I'm just like... "Wow! This is cool." And continue watching until the episode ends. Yes, I was finally introduced to DBZ in the Frieza Saga.

I didn't even know what the anime was called for awhile, so I forgot about it for about two months. Until I saw it back on again, then I used the TV guide to figure out what it was called. "Dragon Ball Z" rang throughout my mind, and I pretty much became hooked.

DBZ was actually the first anime I ever watched; yes, even before pokemon (but not by long). For years to come I was an anime nutjob; not anymore, ofcourse. Razz

Reminiscing over the few but good memories of being a kid... ahhh, those were the days. Half my post was on topic, so who cares. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bodine

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Oh yeah, you just reminded me I was into DBZ before seeing Pokemon. I guess that's why I didn't change the channel lol. I think the first episode I witnessed was when Goku and Vegeta just finished their long-as-hell fight and Krillen was about to kill Vegeta with Yagirobes' sword but Goku stoped him. There's just something about buff guys strong enough to destroy whole planets that appeal to boys lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J

Male Posts : 132
Mood : The Grim Heaper
Something random : Daisukenojo
PokeCoins : 411

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Thu May 21, 2009 9:41 pm

TheOriginalOne-CK wrote:

And then you have the hardass christian douchebags
(who's point of view I entirely understand; although they take things way too seriously. Damn extremists) who could of ended the pokemon craze single handedly. And THEN you have schools outlawing even the cards. But no, no says every child! This craze will not die out. You can take away our pokeballs... you can take away our fucking rare ass Charizard cards, but you can't take away our love of pokemon! DX [/corny]
What's that suppose to mean?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dal

Male Posts : 348
Mood : That depends...
Something random : Just remember this: take the blue pill.
PokeCoins : 970

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Thu May 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Quote :
I'm guessing that by "hardass christian douchebags", he means the people who will not accept Evolution.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Thu May 21, 2009 11:47 pm

Hmm... I guess I'm one of those, just gotta wait for him to clarify. He may just mean the Christians that wouldn't except Pokemon or something dumb like that.

Look what society is doing today... Hating on Christianity. If they'd notice, that's why America was colonized so heavily and it was based upon Christianity...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dirge Phalanx

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Thu May 21, 2009 11:56 pm

Mist wrote:
TheOriginalOne-CK wrote:

And then you have the hardass christian douchebags
(who's point of view I entirely understand; although they take things way too seriously. Damn extremists) who could of ended the pokemon craze single handedly. And THEN you have schools outlawing even the cards. But no, no says every child! This craze will not die out. You can take away our pokeballs... you can take away our fucking rare ass Charizard cards, but you can't take away our love of pokemon! DX [/corny]

Dal wrote:
Quote :
I'm guessing that by "hardass christian douchebags", he means the people who will not accept Evolution.

... Are you trying to start something, Dal? o.o

Although yes, that's the gist of it. Basically people who let religion control their lives, as well as most, if not all of their beliefs. As long as they aren't extremists who preach to everyone and try to control other people. ... Or if they're even worse; the religious nutjobs that take action (both physical and verbal). If they aren't the above, they're perfectly fine people, ofcourse. There was never anything wrong with having a strong faith in something, none the less religion.

Mist wrote:
Look what society is doing today... Hating on Christianity. If they'd notice, that's why America was colonized so heavily and it was based upon Christianity...

Christians shouldn't feel special, lol. It's the biggest and most accepted religion in the world. Besides, there's always a large amount of people hating everything, from races, to religion, to clothes (lol).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 pm

So, you're taking about Puritans?

But I let it control mine, but not to the extent that Pokemon is wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dal

Male Posts : 348
Mood : That depends...
Something random : Just remember this: take the blue pill.
PokeCoins : 970

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Fri May 22, 2009 12:05 am

Quote :
... Are you trying to start something, Dal? o.o
Why no; no I am not.

Quote :
Whoever said we hate you? :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dirge Phalanx

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   Fri May 22, 2009 12:07 am

Puritans... the term escapes me, I can't remember what it means. Wikipedia time!

Yes, modern-day Puritans, really. I'd say a better word would be extremists, though.

As long as you don't try to make religion control others (which from what I've seen, you don't Smile ), that's fine with me.

Alright then, Dal. >.>;

EDIT: Well, no... not really Puritans. That has nothing to do with being a hardass. Razz Extremists is definatly a much better word to use. They can be a Puritan or a normal christian, if they've extremists, they're extremists, ya?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red & Blue = EPIC WIN   

Back to top Go down

Red & Blue = EPIC WIN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1